How To: HP Printer Driver Update for Windows
Let’s get started setting up your HP printer! If you have recently added a new HP printer in your home or a current printer is just not working correctly, or at all; there are some easy solutions you can try.
Outlined below are some how to solutions along with a recommended automated solution with Driver Support to easily update your HP printer drivers with no fuss or worry. HP has robust printers that will work with just about all major Operating Systems.
See below for some of the main solutions to getting your printer setup today.
1) Go to Device Manager.
To Start Device Manager
Open the “Run” dialog box by pressing and holding the Windows key, then press the R key (“Run”).
Type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialog box like shown below
2) Expand category “Print Queues” or “Printer” by click the arrow that is point right as seen below.
NOTE: Use our automated Driver Support solution to help find the correct HP driver in MINUTES and take care of all the work for you? Download Driver Support
3) Under this category, right-click on the HP printer listed (if its not listed you may want to read this HP Printer Not Printing Guide ).
Click Update Driver on the menu.
4) Click “Search automatically” for updated driver software.
If the driver is up-to-date, you will be notified that “The best driver software for your device is already installed”. Then you don’t need to update the HP print driver.
5) After the print driver is installed, restart your computer for the changes to be fully implemented.
NOTE: If this didn’t work you may need to try one of the other solutions below. Or just Download Driver Support now to run your free scan!
Update HP printer driver using the HP Support site
1) You will need to know a few details about your printer (Product Name & Model ID, and what is your Windows operating system).
Also, the directions below may vary slightly based on the Windows operating system you are using.
*To use these steps, you have to be logged on to the computer with an administrator account. Chances are that you are already logged on with an administrator account. If you are not logged on with an administrator account, you must know the name and the password of an administrator account on the computer.
2) One you have located these items on your printer for step 1 you can then visit the HP support website here.
3) You will need to navigate the HP Support site to find the Printer Drivers section.
4) Once you find the correct section of the site you will need to run a search for your “HP (your model name)” printer .
5) If the HP support site correctly finds your printer it will load the printer driver page. You will then need to find the correct driver install package for your Windows Operating system.
There could be multiple options to download on these pages like Firmware, Software-ePrint, Utility-Diagnostic Tools, and finally some Driver packages (Full or Basic). Choose the correct HP Printer Driver install package to download to your Windows PC for the selected printer.
To save yourself the hassle, try Driver Support instead. Download Driver Support
6) Once the file is downloaded you will need to find the .EXE (executable) you got from HP and right-click to run or double-click the file.
7) The installation to run and find your printer, however this tool may not let you know when there are future driver updates and may need further configuration to get your printer to work properly.
Remember, Driver Support can monitor the HP printer drivers for you as a service and make sure you always have the most up to date drivers.
Your HP Printer still isn’t printing properly!? you have all the HP printer drivers updated, HELP!
Read our HP Printer Isn’t Printing for more tips and tricks to get that pesky printer working.
If above two methods don’t work for you; or if you don’t have the patience, time, or computer skills, to update/fix manually it is possible to do it automatically with Driver Support.
Driver Support will scan your computer to detect any problem drivers in your computer whether its related to your HP printer or anything else running in or attached to your PC.
You don’t need to know what operating system your computer is running or the model of your printer, because we will take care of knowing all that when we scan your PC.
It is possible to update the HP printer drivers automatically with the Premium version of Driver Support, so make sure you upgrade to premium as well.
Step 1. Download Driver Support and Install Driver Support FREE TRIAL
Step 2. Let the software run the free scan for you to detect all your printer related driver download issues and any other optimization opportunities
Step 3. Click the “FIX IT” button and register Driver Support to get started updating your drivers for HP device drivers on your computer. This will guide you down the registration path.
Step 4. Once Registered and in Premium mode the software will walk you through the entire process, plus with your registration you will receive unlimited tech support with our Driver Support Signature Service!
Just call us toll-free after registration. With this service we can continue to help you with many of the HP printer related issues you may have.