Unable to Print? How to Resolve the Error Message “HP OfficeJet is in Error State”
HP OfficeJet printers are some of the most popular computer accessories today, but also have a reputation for being prone to a variety of hard-to-troubleshoot issues. If you own or regularly use this printer, then it is likely that you have encountered the error message “HP OfficeJet is in error state” on your screen.
This common error often comes with few clues as to what is actually wrong, so you may be left with the task of figuring it out through trial and error. However, you do not have to grapple in the dark as there is a step-by-step procedure you can follow to find a resolution.
Why Does the Error Message “HP OfficeJet Is In Error State” Appear?
“HP printer is in error state” is a message that appears in a popup box on your computer screen when you try to connect to or print from your device. There are many reasons why this error code appears, but most often, it results from a recent software change such as a Windows update, which interferes with communication between your system and the attached printer.
To complicate matters further, the same error message could be indicative of improperly connected cables, network issues, or even incorrect or corrupted device drivers. To pinpoint the exact cause of the error message and eliminate it, it’s recommended to try some of the solutions below.
What Do You Do if Your HP Printer is in Error State?
As mentioned above, the “printer is in error state” message and the associated lack of response when you try to print can be one of the most frustrating and difficult issues to fix. However, the following fixes can help resolve printing errors.
1. Check the Physical Connections to Your Computer
This is among the simplest solutions for an HP OfficeJet printer in error state. Confirm that you have a proper and firm physical connection between your computer and printer and that the device is powered up. You should also examine your printer cable for any signs of physical damage, as this could prevent communication between devices.
Sometimes, simply restarting both your computer and printer can be the solution to the “printer in error state” issue. Power off your printer and computer completely, leaving them in this state for a few minutes, then turn them on again to see if the problem is gone.
2. Confirm that Your Printer is Online
If your printer is offline, you are also likely to see an error state message on your screen. You could try the following steps to bring your HP OfficeJet printer back online:
- Click the Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Pick the Devices and Printers option.
- Check if your printer is listed and confirm its status. If the device is online, its status will be Ready.
- If the printer is not in Ready state, you may bring it online by right-clicking its icon and picking the Use Printer Online option. This changes the display to Ready and should hopefully clear the error state message.
3. Verify that You Have Loaded Paper into the OfficeJet Printer
A simple, but often overlooked problem is that you could have no paper on the tray. If your HP OfficeJet is in error state and has no paper in the tray, the first thing to do is power down the device. Load paper and then turn it back on, waiting for a few minutes until it is in ready state before checking if the error message has cleared.
4. Reinstall the Printer Drivers
If the steps above fail to resolve your printer issues, you may need to manually reinstall or update your printer drivers. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Visit the HP support website for your location and search the downloads section to find your OfficeJet printer model. Click on the Download link for recommended driver from the list.
- Double-click the downloaded executable file and extract the driver to a directory of your choice on your computer.
- Navigate to the directory and double-click the .msi file to run the driver package installer
- An installer app will run and update your HP OfficeJet drivers. Once finished, restart your computer and printer and confirm that your device is working properly.
As you can see, installing the HP printer drivers manually is a highly complex process and one where you could easily make mistakes. Installation and update of HP OfficeJet drivers can be eased with the use of a software search solution like Driver Support.
Get Sharp Prints and Hassle-Free Operation of Your HP OfficeJet Printer with Driver Support
By methodically going through the steps outlined above, you will find out why your printer has no output and hopefully find a solution to the error message “HP OfficeJet is in error state.” If you find that your printing issues are down to wrong, missing or improperly installed drivers, you can rely on Driver Support to scan your PC automatically and provide an inventory of your devices.
When the Driver Support software is fully registered, it provides you with a list of all outdated drivers on your computer and downloads the drivers automatically so you do not have to locate and install them manually.
Produce perfect prints every time from your HP OfficeJet printer. Give Driver Support | ONE a try today! today to get the latest OfficeJet drivers and enjoy the best print quality possible.