How to Fix Your Audio with Dota 2 Not Recognizing Mic Input
Dota 2 is a popular multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game developed by video game company Valve, best known for classic titles like Portal and Half Life.
Valve owns and operates Steam, a gaming platform and digital market for PC games.
Dota 2 involves teams of five players each, where each player chooses a “hero” character. Each game has two teams pitted against each other, on opposite sides of a map.
Once you start, you and your teammates try to level up by fighting and defeating heroes from other teams as well as non-player characters who exist within the game universe.
Once you have a strong enough team, you would then try to attack an opposing team’s base. If you destroy their “ancient,” your team wins.
Why Is Dota 2 Not Recognizing Mic Input?
The teamwork and interactivity required to play the game is one of its biggest attractions. You can text and voice chat as part of the Dota 2 gameplay, enabling you and your team to come up with strategies to take over your opponents’ base and fortifications.
For this reason, a properly working microphone and headset are important if you are to get the most out of this exciting online game.
However, there are many times when you find that there are audio dropouts when you try to speak into your microphone.
The question “How do I get my mic to work on Dota 2?” is one of the most commonly asked on gaming forums related to this game.
There are four possible reasons why you could be having problems accessing your microphone:
- You are logged in to Steam on a different computer
- Your microphone is incorrectly set up in Dota 2
- The Windows Audio Enhancements setting is turned on
- Your audio drivers need to be updated
How Do I Get My Mic To Work On Dota 2?
When you have your Dota 2 Not Recognizing Mic Input due to any of the four reasons outlined above, there are steps you can take to identify the problem and fix it so you can get back to enjoying your gaming experience:
1. Log Out Of Other Devices
While entirely rare, there are cases where the microphone in Steam is disabled because the same account is active and in use on a different computer. It may not notify you that your account is in use elsewhere.
If this is the error, try to log out on other devices and then test it on only one system.
If you cannot access the other computer that has access to your account, then change your password. This will automatically disconnect your Steam account from the other computer and let you enjoy voice chat in Dota 2 and other Steam games.
2. Input the Correct In-Game Microphone Settings in Dota 2
From the main Dota 2 menu before you start a match, you can set up your microphone for voice chat.
- At the top, left-hand corner, click the gear icon to open Settings
- Select the AUDIO tab and ensure that the Sound Device and Speaker Configuration are set to default.
- On the same tab, activate Voice (Party) and set your Push to Talk shortcut key for your team. You should then select the appropriate Open Mic Threshold using the slider at the bottom of this tab to get your microphone recorded at a comfortable level. We recommend selecting about 30% gain as shown below.
3. Disable Windows Audio Enhancements
If you still cannot get your microphone to work properly, then your problem could be Windows’ Audio Enhancement. It is possible to get your microphone to work with Dota 2 by disabling these features in the following way:
- Right-click your volume icon on the system tray (the bottom, right-hand corner of your screen) and select Recording Devices.
- Choose your active microphone then click its Properties button.
- On the Microphone Enhancements tab, make sure the check boxes marked Voice enhancements and Acoustic Echo cancellation are unchecked
Reboot your PC and retry using your microphone to chat.
4. Update Your Audio Drivers
If you try all of the steps above and still have Dota 2 not recognizing your mic input, it may be necessary to manually reinstall or update your device drivers.
Manual installation of hardware drivers is a complicated process that involves delving into the inner workings of your computer’s operating system and your hardware setup, where you could easily make mistakes.
It may also be difficult to locate the correct drivers for older devices or if your sound hardware was not supplied with installation media.
If done incorrectly, it could leave you with an inoperable computer and a hefty repair bill.
However, installation and updating of device drivers is easy if you use a software search service like Driver Support.
Trouble-Free Gameplay and In-Game Voice Chat on Your Microphone
By systematically going through the steps above, you should be able to find out how to get your microphone to work with Dota 2.
If you need to reinstall or update your drivers to correct the issue, you can count on Driver Support to automatically scan your computer and let you know if any of your drivers are incorrectly installed or out of date.
The fully registered version of driver support software will give you a list of outdated device drivers on your PC and download them automatically, so you do not have to carry out a manual installation.
Stop struggling to get yourself heard by your Dota 2 teammates. Give DriverSupport | ONE a try today! software today to get the latest audio drivers and get your microphone working again!