Fixing Webcam Issues on Windows 10
Are you asking the following question? Why is my webcam not working? Experiencing freezing webcam issues in Windows 10.
Please remember to make a full backup of your computer before you take this troubleshooter to repair webcams issue, glitches, for these changes, could result in irreversible damages to your current installations if they’re not done properly.
1. Use Win + R shortcut keys to open the Run command.
2. Type regedit and click OK to launch Windows registry.
3. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows Media Foundation > Platform.
4. Right-click on the Platform folder and then select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
5. Name the value “EnableFrameServerMode”.
6. Right-click the new value and select Modify then set it to “0” in the Value data.
7. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > WOW6432Node > Microsoft > Windows Media Foundation > Platform.
8. Repeat steps 4-6 if you own the 64-bit version of Windows.
9. Restart your PC to update those changes.
Sometimes it could be something as simple as your antivirus that’s causing webcam issues. Check your antivirus configuration and disable webcam protection feature. If that doesn’t help or if you can’t find this setting, you can try disabling your antivirus.
Windows 10 added a privacy feature that allows you to choose which applications can access your webcam which could cause your webcam not to work as this could be a setting not allowing your webcam. To fix this problem, you need to check your privacy settings by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app. You can do that quickly by pressing Windows Key + I shortcut.
- When Settings app opens, go to Privacy section.
- In the left pane, choose Camera. Now select the Allow apps to access your camera option. If the problem appears only with a specific app, check the Choose apps that can use your camera list and make sure that the camera is enabled for that app.
Sometimes webcam problems can be caused by outdated or missing drivers. If you’re having this problem, we advise you to try updating your drivers. You can use DriverSupport to easily do this.