Computer Can’t Recognize Epson Workforce Pro WF 3640
The Epson Workforce Pro WF 3640 All-In-One multifunction printer is the perfect solution for home users or small businesses.
However, if you’re facing issues where your computer can’t recognize the Epson Workforce Pro WF 3640, it could point to a number of situations.
Windows makes managing your printing devices easy, but sometimes things can go wrong.
Specifically, the security updates provided by Windows and the latest drivers delivered by Epson can cause communication issues between the PC and printer.
This guide will help you troubleshoot some of these issues.
Epson’s Workforce Pro printer supports all connection types, including direct USB, wired LAN, and non-wired WAN (Wi-Fi connected) setups.
Depending on how you configured the printer, you may need to test the connection. Follow the steps below to test the connection with the printer.
Verify the Network Connection
Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to help you test your printers. This will attempt to establish a connection with the printer and verify it’s able to receive print instructions.
If you are using a wireless connection, you should first attempt to troubleshoot the printer with different connections.
A LAN cable or USB connection is more reliable than Wi-Fi. By physically connecting the printer to your PC, you’ll be able to determine whether you are facing a network issue or if it’s an issue with a malfunctioning printer.
If you’ve connected the printer with a cable and it still doesn’t work, skip to next section.
Run the Windows Troubleshooter
- To start the troubleshooter, you’ll need to locate the printer on your PC. Start with pressing the Windows Key, then type “Control Panel” and select the top result.
- In Control Panel, select the Devices and Printers option.
- Locate the Epson Workforce Pro WF 3640 and use the Right Hand Mouse Button (RHMB) to open the context menu.
Note that if the printer isn’t available from the list of Devices and Printers, you will have to reinstall the device with Epson’s Driver and Utilities software. For details on how to do this, go to the next section.
- From the Context Menu, select Troubleshoot to start the Windows Troubleshooter.
- Wait for the troubleshooter to finish.
- If Windows recommends a fix, attempt the fix and try to print again. If the troubleshooter doesn’t detect any issues, you’ll need to use the Epson Driver and Utilities software to update the printer’s firmware and drivers. You can find the Epson software by visiting this page.
Update Firmware and Drivers
The Windows fall update may cause an error where the computer can’t recognize Epson Workforce Pro WF 3640 printers.
To fix this issue, you’ll have to update the driver or reinstall the printer completely.
Manually Updating the Epson Workforce Pro WF 3640 Printer Driver
- Hit the Windows Key and type “Device Manager.” You should then select the top result to start Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, scroll down to the Print Queues section and locate the printer.
- Use the Right Hand Mouse Button (RHMB) to open the context menu. On the context menu, you can update the driver, rollback to a previous driver version, disable or uninstall the device, as well as access its properties.
- To update the printer’s driver, select Update Driver.
- This will start the Update Driver Wizard. You’ll receive a prompt to either let Windows automatically update the driver, or select a driver from your computer. Select the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
- Windows will connect to the internet and search for the latest driver. If Windows finds a newer driver, it will automatically install it, or you will receive a message that you are using the latest software.
- After the Wizard completes, you can try printing again. If the error is not resolved, you may have to completely remove and re-add the printer and its software.
Remove and Reinstall the Printer Drivers
Since Window’s fall update from 2018, many users have experienced issues with drivers no longer working on their PCs.
This happened due to corrupted DNS records being included in the update. Since this update caused many issues, Windows abandoned it and released a new one in the spring of 2019.
However, some users who have already received the previous update may be experiencing issues, even after applying the latest update.
To resolve these issues, Windows recommends completely uninstalling the device and reinstalling the latest driver software.
- Uninstall the device from the Device Manager by using the RHMB and selecting uninstall device.
- On the prompt, confirm you want to uninstall the device completely by clicking on Uninstall.
- The printer will now no longer be available in the Device Manager.
Download and Install the Epson Workforce Pro WF 3640 Drivers and Utilities Software
You can use the link provided above to access the Epson Drivers and Utilities software for your printer. Under the Downloads section of the Epson site, select the latest version of the application and start the download. Once the download completes, you’ll need to install the software.
- Double click to start the installer for the application. This will require an internet connection to complete the installation.
- When prompted to allow the installer to continue, click Run.
- On the next prompt, select OK to proceed with the installation process.
Note that this installer contains everything you need to use the Epson Workforce Pro WF 3640 all-in-one printer. That includes the latest firmware update for the printer.
- The installer will unpack the files required to continue with the installation.
- On the next window, click Accept for the license agreement.
- On the next page, you can select which software components to install. Although you can accept the default settings, it’s important to note that Epson will install a Customer Satisfaction monitoring utility with the software. Because this software will collect data from your PC, it will create an exception for Epson utilities in your Windows Firewall.
Untick this option if you do not want to create a firewall exception, and then click Install to proceed.
- The installer will connect to the internet and download the necessary files from Epson. It will then install the necessary drivers and utilities for your Workforce Pro WF 3640 printer.
- After the installation completes, you can setup the printer. Before starting the setup process, you need to ensure you’ve switch on the printer and connect it to your network via Wi-Fi or LAN cable, or directly connect it with a USB to your computer.
To proceed with the setup process, click on the Next button.
- On the following screen, select the type of connection you’re using for the printer.
- Even if you’ve previously added the printer to your Wi-Fi network, it would be better to set up the printer again by choosing “Set up the printer for the first time” from the options on the dialogue. You can either use an USB cable, or follow the instructions to add the printer using the printer’s buttons. The recommended method would be to use a USB cable.
If you don’t have a USB cable, follow the instructions on the remaining dialogues to complete the setup.
Once you’ve added the printer to the network, it should solve the reasons why your Epson printer is not recognized by your computer.
Driver Support Can Manage all of Your Printer Drivers
Driver Support will automatically update all your device drivers and ensure the optimal performance of your hardware devices.
Once you download and install Driver Support, it will inventory all the hardware components and connected devices, and download the necessary drivers for you.
After registering the product, it will automatically install and monitor all your drivers, ensuring your PC and Printers work reliably without any requiring any manual troubleshooting.
For enhanced PC performance and efficient management of your connected devices, Download Driver Support.